Welcome to the blog of a teen and her life with 9 dogs!
These ramblings are best read with a hot cuppa' coffee in your hand and warm slippers on your feet.


Monday, January 6, 2014

"The End of One Thing is Merely the Beginning of Another"

I'm sad to announce that the Small 'N' Mighty Racing Team will not be racing this year.  Unseasonable weather and just a plain lack of time prevented us from being able to train properly this fall so we will not be ready to race come January.
We're still going to run, but just for fun this year. We'll probably do lots of exploring and try lots of new things since we don't have the pressure of being ready on time for races on us.




I can also tell that the end of my career in dog racing is in sight. This was such a huge part of my life for a long time and I'm sad to see it coming to an end. I will miss going to races and seeing familiar faces, racing and training alongside of friends, but most, I will miss the time I spent on the trail with my dogs. Hooking up the dogs and hitting the trail was my little paradise on earth...it was my escape from my sometimes chaotic life.

My team and I at the Indian River Sprint race last year. This was our 3rd win!

My girls on a training run last winter. Sydney has her usual "I'm insane and I know it" face on.



Happy faces!


I don't regret a single second of my life spent as a dog musher. I'm very thankful for the 8 years I was able to enjoy this crazy, wonderful lifestyle. It taught me invaluable lessons and put some great people in my path who are now my friends. I'm especially greatful for all of the people who took it upon themselves to help this young whippersnapper greenhorn when I was just starting out.
To the people who gave me/let me borrow dogs, let me use their equipment, run on their trails, gave me invaluable advice, THANK YOU! I wouldn't have been able to do it with out you guys. :)

Cougar says thanks too. ;)


Like I said, dog mushing taught me invaluable life lessons. Things I will be able to use now for the rest of my life. 
For example:

-Don't sweat the small stuff 
-The journey is the reward.

I have a tendency to freak out over little things...and working with dogs that have minds of their own means that not everything is going to go just as you planned it. You have to have patience and understanding. 

I also like to rush from point A to point B. I like to see immediate results when I do something. I didn't like having to wait for a dog to become a good runner, I don't want to wait to be good at something. But, things take hard work and perseverance that eventually will pay off in the end.  Focusing on getting from one point to the other makes you miss out on stuff along the way.

One of my favorite trails to travel in the fall. It's so gorgeous covered in colorful leaves...it has kind of an ethereal look to it. 

Jacob, admiring his reflection in his water bowl after a run. 



I'm thankful for the things I learned, the adventures I had, and the friends I met in these past 8 years. I'm ready to see what the next 8 have. 

I'm not sure if this blog is something that I will keep up on but we shall see what happens. :)

Thanks for reading, I hope you have fantastic day!  

Peace out, dog! 


2 comments:

  1. Why have you decided to stop sledding? I plan to start skijoring next year so I kind of just starting but I have been going to races for two years and helping handle and I can't imagine stopping as long as I had a dog that wanted to. It is just a wonderful escape.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've decided to stop because I plan on going to college in Oklahoma in August and my dogs will be staying behind in Michigan. Plus, I'm just ready to move on to other things and see what else life has to offer.
    I, too, couldn't ever imagine getting out of the sport a couple of years ago yet here I am. lol
    It's an awesome sport to be involved in, it's loads of fun, but I'm ready to see what's next. :)

    ReplyDelete